ST. AUGUSTINE, Fla. (May 16, 2023) — Flagler Health+ and the University of Florida’s academic health center, UF Health, have reached a definitive agreement designed to bring innovative, high-quality, leading-edge care to the region.
The organizations anticipate formally closing on the deal this summer and will then begin integrating Flagler Health+ into UF Health later this year.
In February, the Flagler Health+ Board of Trustees and leadership team selected UF Health as the like-minded organization it wanted to move forward with to enhance local health care services and expand access to care in the community.
“UF Health is uniquely positioned to bring much-needed top-flight service to Northeast Florida and to ensure that all of the region’s residents have access to the very best health care available,” said UF President Ben Sasse. “Florida’s population growth is remarkable, and Flagler and St. Johns are among the state’s 10 fastest-growing counties. This agreement builds on Flagler’s long tradition of caring for the community and positions UF to offer the latest breakthroughs in pursuit of ensuring Floridians can enjoy the quality of life they deserve.”
David R. Nelson, M.D., senior vice president for health affairs at UF and president of UF Health, said this is an exciting time for UF Health.
“Throughout our discussions, a constant has been the desire to deliver outstanding health care to the people in the area,” Nelson said. “UF Health will bring its unique capabilities as an academic health system, with technologically advanced care focused on world-class outcomes, research opportunities including clinical trials, and training programs for the next generation of care providers, to build upon the Flagler Health+ legacy of meeting the health care needs of the residents of Flagler, St. Johns, Putnam, Clay and Duval counties.”
Flagler Health+ explored options from some of the most respected health care organizations in the country, with a specific focus on:
- Continued enhancement of quality and patient satisfaction through the sharing of best practices.
- Supporting key community-focused service lines (e.g., behavioral health, women’s health, etc.) while expanding the breadth and depth of services provided locally.
- Enhancing Flagler Health+’s ability to provide high-quality health care services to underserved populations.
- Strengthening recruitment and retention of team members, physicians and advanced practice providers to enhance the community’s access to local quality health care.
- Adding technology resources and expertise, including an integrated enterprise-wide technology strategy, electronic health record implementation and new clinical technology and equipment to support health care professionals.
- Enhanced access to capital to support future investments in facilities, infrastructure, technology and growth initiatives.
Flagler Health+ CEO Carlton DeVooght said the future looks bright.
“At the time we made our initial selection, we were confident that UF Health matched our longstanding commitment to our community and our dedication to our team members, providers and patients,” DeVooght said. “Our discussions in reaching this definitive agreement have cemented our initial impressions. We look forward to joining the UF Health family.”
WHAT THIS MEANS FOR PATIENTS AND THE COMMUNITY
Flagler Health+ and UF Health have reached a final agreement to integrate Flagler Health+ into UF Health. Flagler Health+’s priority continues to be providing exceptional care to patients, and patients can continue to see their current doctors and access the services they always have.
Visit FlaglerHealthForward.org to learn more, review frequently asked questions or submit a question of your own.